Licence check 1 million+ trade professionals in 58 licensing bodies

Where do you need a Licensed Carport Builder?

Get Quotes

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) classifies carports as Class 10 building projects along with decks, pergolas, garages and other non-habitable structures. While carport builders must be able to build carports in accordance with BCA specifications, a full builders licence may not be required by state building authorities.

Carport Builders - New South Wales

NSW Fair Trading classifies carport builders as part of the building trade. If a carport is valued at $1000 or more, the work must be carried out by a licensed builder. One or both of two types of licences may apply to your carport:

  • The person or company you enter into a contract with will need to hold a Contractor's licence.
  • The person supervising the construction work will need to hold a Supervisor's licence.

If you are having a metal carport installed, the installer may need to hold a metal fabrication licence. In most cases, aluminium and other metal carports come in kit form. In this case, the appropriate licence is for the erection of prefabricated metal framed home additions and structures, which specifically includes "carports, garages, workshops, sheds and other similar additions and structures".

Carport Builders - Victoria

If you want to have a carport that's valued at $10000 or more built on your premises in Victoria, it will have to be built by a Registered Building Practitioner (RBP), which is the Victorian equivalent to a licensed builder in other states. If the work carried out by the registered practitioner does not include habitable structures, they will probably hold a Domestic Builder - Limited (DB-L) registration card. Their registration card may also include restrictions and/or endorsements for specific types of building work.

Carport Builders - Queensland

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) issues building and building-related licences. Any structure valued at $3300 or more must receive a building permit. In order to receive a building permit, the structure must be built by a licensed builder or homeowner with an owner-builder permit.

Three basic types of builders' licences are available in Queensland:

  1. Trade Contractor
  2. Nominee Supervisor
  3. Site Supervisor

Only a contractor can enter into a contract with you and a nominee or site supervisor will have to oversee or carry out the construction of the carport.

The QBCC authorises licensed builders, carpenters and joiners to construct carports. Any of these licences is acceptable and will include the pouring of a slab for the carport and construction of a timber or metal carport if only metal carport components are used in construction.

Carport Builders - South Australia

Any type of building work in SA must be carried out by or under the supervision of at least one of two categories of licences issued by the Consumer and Building Services (CBS) sector of the South Australian Attorney General’s Department:

  1. A Building Contractor is authorised to enter into contracts, carry out work and supervise the work of other tradespersons.
  2. A Building Supervisor is authorised to supervise work carried out by others.

A Building Contractor must also be registered as a Building Supervisor. If a contractor does not directly supervise building work, they must nominate a registered supervisor to oversee construction.

In South Australia, residential building work is divided into three categories:

  1. Work limited to housing no higher than 3 storeys
  2. Building work limited to single storey dwellings
  3. Building work limited to alterations and extensions

A carport builder can carry a licence limited to alterations and extensions or may hold another type of residential builder's licence.

Carport Builders - Western Australia

In WA, a building permit is needed to build any new structure, addition or alteration to a house at ground level. If the total cost of the project exceeds $20,000, a registered builder must supervise the project or the homeowner must obtain an owner-builder permit.

Since most carports cost well under $20,000, you probably won't need to hire a licensed contractor to carry out the work. To ensure your work meets or exceeds BCA standards, only hire carport builders with a track record of service in your community.

Carport Builders - Tasmania

The Tasmanian Department of Justice governs building work in Tasmania. Department of Justice accreditation is the equivalent to a trade licence in other states. Most reputable carport builders in Tasmania will be accredited contractors. This entitles them to enter into contracts with clients. Accredited builders also must hold public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

Carport Builders - Australian Capital Territory

Builders in the ACT are divided into four general classifications:

  1. Class A builders (unlimited) can undertake all types of building work.
  2. Class B builders (medium rise) is restricted to work on buildings 3 storeys or lower in height.
  3. Class C builders (low rise) can perform building work on structures 2 storeys or lower. Class C builders also are limited to building work on a restricted number of residential building classes and non-habitable structures.
  4. Class D builders are authorised to do non-structural building work only.

Carports are considered non-habitable structures.

Construction Occupation Licences are issued by the ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA). Your carport builder's licence should clearly state the Class of licence they hold and may also include endorsements or restrictions. For example, a Class D builder may be endorsed to construct some types of carports.

Carport Builders - Northern Territory

In the NT, there is no general requirement for a licensed builder to construct a carport. However, some counties in the NT require Home Improvement licences issued by the council for all home improvement projects valued at $3000 or more. Check with your local council to see if this is the case in your area. If a licence is not required, the person or company that carries out the work should be a registered business and carry insurance.

I can help!

Get Quotes From Licensed Carports

  1. Tell us what you need from the Licensed Carports
  2. Licensed Carports contact you
  3. Compare multiple quotes fast to save time and money

Get Quotes Now »

Find Local Carports Where You Live

Find Licensed Carports in WA

Find Licensed Carports in SA

Find Licensed Carports in ACT

Find Licensed Carports in NT