Licence check 1 million+ trade professionals in 58 licensing bodies

Where do you need a Licensed Gazebo Builder?

Get Quotes

Trade licensing authorities in Australia classify a gazebo as a "non-habitable structure." A licence will be required in most states, though not all. Scroll down to find out what type of trade licence or registration is required for gazebo builders in your area.

Gazebos - New South Wales

NSW Fair Trading issues trade licences in this state. Any building project costing $1000 or more must be carried out by a licenced builder in NSW. Fair Trading considers gazebos to be part of the Structural Landscaping licence category. If you are having a kit gazebo made from any type of metal built, your gazebo builder will need to have a current licence for the "erection of prefabricated metal framed home additions and structures."

Gazebos - Victoria

In Victoria, the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) stipulates that all building work over the value of $5,000 (materials and labour) must be carried out or supervised by a registered builder. The registration system in Victoria is the equivalent to the licensing system in other states. The VBA divides builders into 3 broad classes:

Domestic Builder – Unlimited (DB-U) Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) Domestic Builder – Manager (DB-M)

In addition, further code letters designate the type of work a builder is authorised to carry out. A gazebo builder in Victoria may have DB-L registration card limited to structural landscaping, which has an additional code letter "U".

Gazebos - Queensland

Builders in Queensland are governed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. In Queensland, all construction jobs valued at $3,300 or more must be carried out by licensed builders. A Queensland builders licence can be open or restricted. Gazebo builders in Queensland should hold at least a "Builder Restricted to Structural Landscaping" licence. If you are having a metal gazebo built, your builder may also have a "Non Structural Metal Fabrication and Installation (NSMF)" licence.

The person you enter into a contract with should hold a Contractor Licence. A contractor is also authorised to supervise your project, but if they are not on site, the person supervising the project must hold a Nominee Supervisor Licence.

Gazebos - South Australia

The Consumer and Building Services (CBS) offices of the South Australian Attorney General’s Department govern building trades in this state. Two types of builder's licences exist in South Australia:

  1. A building contractor is authorised to enter into a contract with a client
  2. A building supervisor is authorised to supervise work on behalf of a contractor

Apprentices may carry apprentice licences, but are not authorised to independently carry out building work, whether salaried or with a view towards selling a product.

In addition to the broad licence categories, a builder might hold a licence restricted to certain "standard conditions." A gazebo builder may be restricted to building "pre-fabricated steel framed" structures only or "non-habitable" timber structures.

Gazebos - Western Australia

Under the Builders’ Registration Act 2011, individuals, partnerships and companies that undertake building work valued over $20,000 or work that requires a building permit must have one or both of two types of licences:

In WA, gazebos and other types of non-structural and non-habitable structural works do not have to be built by licensed builders. However, your gazebo builder should have a business licence and carry insurance. If your builder is a sole proprietor, they should have a Home Occupation Licence issued by their local council. If they are a franchise or larger company, they will hold another type of business licence. If you are having a metal gazebo installed, look for a “Structural Steel Erection Services” licence and a “Metal roof fixing” licence.

Gazebos - Tasmania

The Department of Justice governs building work in Tasmania. In Tasmania, "accreditation" is the equivalent to a licence or registration in other states. Two types of accreditation exist:

  1. Builder
  2. Construction Manager

Builder accreditation authorises the holder to enter into contractual agreements with clients.

An accredited builder in Tasmania may receive accreditation with conditions or restrictions. A gazebo, pergola or patio builder may have accreditation restricted to non-habitable or non-structural types of building work. Check for current accreditation. This will ensure your gazebo builder holds public liability and professional indemnity insurance as required by the Department of Justice.

Gazebos - Australian Capital Territory

ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) issues four types of trade licences to building professionals:

  1. A Class A Builder (unlimited) can undertake all types of building work.
  2. A Class B Builder (medium rise) is restricted to work on buildings 3 storeys or lower in height.
  3. A Class C Builder (low rise) can perform building work on structures 2 storeys or lower. Class C builders also are limited to building work on a restricted number of residential building classes and non-habitable structures such as garages, carports and sheds.
  4. Class D Builders are authorised to do non-structural building work only.

Since gazebos are classified as “non-habitable structures,” your gazebo builder will probably hold a Class C licence. Their licence should also endorse them for additional, related types of work such as roofing or erecting steel structures, if applicable.

Gazebos - Northern Territory

The Building Practitioners Board is responsible for registering builders in the Northern Territory. State-wide, builders only need to be registered as such if they build new habitable buildings such as houses, townhouses and residential units. They do not need to be registered as building contractors if they build or install non-habitable structures such as gazebos.

Some counties in the NT require Home Improvement licences issued by the council for home improvement projects that cost over a certain amount. Check with your local council to find out if this applies in your area.

Whether a licence is required or not, all building practitioners in the Northern Territory are expected to comply with Building Code Australia standards and Australian business Codes of Practice.

I can help!

Get Quotes From Licensed Gazebo Builders

  1. Tell us what you need from the Licensed Gazebo Builders
  2. Licensed Gazebo Builders contact you
  3. Compare multiple quotes fast to save time and money

Get Quotes Now »

Find Local Gazebo Builders Where You Live

Find Licensed Gazebo Builders in WA

Find Licensed Gazebo Builders in SA

Find Licensed Gazebo Builders in ACT

Find Licensed Gazebo Builders in NT