Licence check 1 million+ trade professionals in 58 licensing bodies

Where do you need a Licensed Landscaper?

Get Quotes

Does my landscaper need to have a trade licence? It will depend on the scope of the job, but in most states and territories, a licence will be required for most types of landscaping work. What type of licence will depend on the job and state you live in.

There are two basic types of landscaping. Aside from landscaping as a job that involves moving earth and installing garden plants and ornaments as "landscaping" is generally defined, there is also structural landscaping. While a landscaping or similar type of licence is usually required for the first type of job, a structural landscaping or restricted builders licence may be required for the construction of pergolas, retaining walls, ponds, fences and other landscape features.

Landscaping - New South Wales

NSW Fair Trading issues trade licences in New South Wales. A landscaping licence is required for any work that costs over $200. In addition, if paving, a retaining wall, a pergola and other outdoor non-habitable structure is needed, a Structural Landscaping licence is required.

Landscaping - Victoria

In Victoria, a builders registration card is required for all work valued at $10000 or more, including landscaping. Registration with the Building Practitioners Board is the equivalent to a trade licence in other states. A landscaper in Victoria should hold a Domestic Builder -- Limited (DB-L) registration card with a further designation for the type of work they are authorised to carry out.

Landscaping - Queensland

In Queensland, a landscaping licence is required for work valued at over $3300. If structural landscaping (pergolas, paving, etc.) is needed, a Structural Landscape licence is also required.

Landscaping - South Australia

In South Australia, landscapers are required to hold building work contractor licences. The person or company you enter into a contract with must hold a contractor's licence and work must be supervised by a landscaper who holds a Supervisors Licence.

Landscaping - Tasmania

In Tasmania, accreditation is the equivalent to a trade licence. Work that exceeds $5000 in value must be carried out by an accredited builder. Their accreditation may be restricted to certain types of activity.

Landscaping - Western Australia

In WA, any type of building-related work, including landscaping, must be carried out or supervised by licensed building contractors if the value of the work exceeds $12,000.

Landscaping - Northern Territory

In the NT, a licence is not required for landscaping work. However, some NT counties require trades to hold a Home Improvement Licence for a wide variety of home improvement projects. Check with your local council to find out if such a licence is required in your area.

Landscaping - Australian Capital Territory

In the ACT, no specific landscaping licence exists. However, a landscaper will probably hold a Class D builder's licence with endorsements for specific types of work they perform regularly. For example, a Class D licence authorises the holder to built non-habitable structures such as patios and pergolas.

I can help!

Get Quotes From Licensed Landscapers

  1. Tell us what you need from the Licensed Landscapers
  2. Licensed Landscapers contact you
  3. Compare multiple quotes fast to save time and money

Get Quotes Now

Find Local Landscapers Where You Live

Find Licensed Landscapers in WA

Find Licensed Landscapers in SA

Find Licensed Landscapers in ACT

Find Licensed Landscapers in NT