Licence check 1 million+ trade professionals in 58 licensing bodies

Where do you need a Licensed Lighting Expert?

Get Quotes

If you want to install lighting in your home, if the job requires more than simply plugging the lighting unit into the wall, you will probably need to hire a licensed electrician to install it. In some states, an electrician with a specific type of licence or registration will be authorised to install lighting. In other states, a general electrician will be needed. Scroll down to find out about lighting licensing requirements in your state or territory.

Lighting - New South Wales

NSW Fair Trading issues trade licences in this state. An electrician will hold one of two types of licences:

  1. Individual contractor licence
  2. Company/Partnership licence

In addition, two types of trade certificates are available:

  1. A Qualified Supervisor Certificate for Electrical Work
  2. Disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment

If an apprentice does electrical work, it must be under supervision of a licensed electrician who holds a Qualified Supervisor Certificate. The Certificate for disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment is designed for contractors carrying out work outside of their usual job function and is limited in scope and may not suffice for the installation of lighting.

Lighting - Victoria

In Victoria, Energy Safe Victoria issues licences to electricians. An electrician who also does electrical installation work must carry an electrical contractor's licence.

Disconnection and reconnection of fixed electrical equipment can be carried out by an individual who holds a Restricted Electrical Worker’s Licence. This licence is restricted to carrying out low voltage electrical work related to equipment connected to a fixed electrical installation and may not suffice for lighting installations if wiring work is required.

If an apprentice working on behalf of a contractor installs your lighting, they will need to hold an Electrician (Supervised) Licence or a Supervised Worker’s Licence, but they must work under supervision.

Lighting - Queensland

All but limited electrical work must be carried out by licensed electricians in Queensland. Most residential work can be carried out by a licensed electrical contractor who holds an Electrical mechanic licence.

In Queensland, electrical licences must be renewed every five years. Make sure your lighting installer holds a current licence, carries insurance and guarantees their work.

Lighting - South Australia

Consumer and Business Services (CBS) issues electricians' licences in SA. Under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995, electrical work can only be undertaken by licensed contractors. If a business is a partnership, each partner in the business must have an individual licence. A contractor's licence is a business licence only. If your lighting supplier also installs the lighting, they must also hold a worker’s registration card. Contractor’s licences must be renewed yearly in SA, while a worker’s registration card is valid for three years.

Lighting - Western Australia

The Electrical Licensing Board issues four types of electrical licences in WA:

  1. An electrical contractor’s licence is a business licence only.
  2. An electrical installation licence is required to carry out electrical work. An electrical installation licence is valid for five years.
  3. An electrical training licence is issued to apprentices and trainees. A training licence is valid for the period of apprenticeship or traineeship.
  4. Restricted electrical licences (RELs) are issued to tradespersons other than electricians. The restrictions are limited in scope and holders of RELs are not permitted to carry out electrical wiring work or fit power points, lighting or other fixed electrical connections.

The person or company you buy your lighting from should hold a contractor's licence and the person who installs your lighting should carry an electrical installation licence. If a trainee is working on your site, they must work under supervision.

Lighting - Tasmania

In Tasmania, the Department of Justice issues four types of licences to electricians:

  1. A Practitioner’s Licence allows an individual to carry out electrical work.
  2. If an electrical practitioner is also the person who enters into a contract for carrying out electrical work, they must also hold an Electrical Contractor’s licence.
  3. Air conditioning, refrigeration and other trade specialists who install electrical equipment must hold valid Restricted Electrical Licence.
  4. Persons who hold valid electrical licences from countries outside Australia can apply for a Provisional Licence in Tasmania.

Your lighting supplier/installer should hold an Electrical Contractor's licence and anyone who installs your lighting should carry a Practitioner's Licence.

Lighting - Australian Capital Territory

Electricians in the ACT are licensed and accredited by the Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) .Electricians may be issued one of three types of licences:

  • Electrical contractor’s licence (company or partnership);
  • Unrestricted electrician’s licence (individual); or
  • Restricted electrician’s licence (individual, company or partnership).

Anyone working under supervision must carry an electrician's permit. This allows the holder to carry out electrical wiring work under supervision of a unrestricted electrician or restricted electrician licensed in the same incidental electrical work.

A restricted electrician's licence authorises the holder to disconnect and reconnect electrical equipment incidental to plumbing, electrical fitting, refrigeration and air conditioning, mechanical fitting and type B gas appliance work. A restricted licence does not authorise the holder to install wiring.

Lighting - Northern Territory

The Electrical Workers and Contractors Licensing Board issues four types of licences in the NT:

  1. An ‘A’ Grade Electrical Mechanic’s Licence
  2. A Mutual Recognition Licence for holders of current licences in other states or New Zealand
  3. A Restricted (Grade ‘R’) Licence
  4. An Apprentice Training Licence

In addition, there are two types of electrical contractor licences:

  1. Sole Trader or Natural Person
  2. Company, Partnership or Association

Before a contractor’s licence can be issued, the applicant must have held an Electrical Mechanic’s Licence for at least two years.

A contractor’s licence does not give the licence holder authority to carry out electrical work. In order to install or replace electrical wiring and hard-wired electrical installations such as power points and lighting units, an electrician must hold a current A Grade Electrical Mechanic’s Licence. Holders of apprentice training licences can work under supervision only.

I can help!

Get Quotes From Licensed Lighting Experts

  1. Tell us what you need from the Licensed Lighting Experts
  2. Licensed Lighting Experts contact you
  3. Compare multiple quotes fast to save time and money

Get Quotes Now »

Find Local Lighting Experts Where You Live

Find Licensed Lighting Experts in WA

Find Licensed Lighting Experts in SA

Find Licensed Lighting Experts in ACT

Find Licensed Lighting Experts in NT