Licence check 1 million+ trade professionals in 58 licensing bodies

Where do you need a Licensed Roofer?

Get Quotes


Roofing is such an important part of building construction, special skills are required in order to ensure a building is waterproof and that water runoff from the roof is controlled. Roofing comes in a variety of materials. The two most commonly used materials are:

  1. Metal sheets, usually zinc-aluminium
  2. Tiles, usually clay, concrete or slate

Each material requires special techniques. Some roofing professionals specialise in one type of material or product only, whilst others may be able to install all types of roofing for you.

Licensing of Roofers

Because of the different skill sets required by roofers, many states require different licences for different types of roofing jobs. These may include:

  • Metal Roofing & Cladding
  • Roof Plumbing
  • Roof Tiling
  • Roof Slating

Scroll down to our state-by-state entries to find specific licensing requirements for roofing in your state or territory.

Types of Roofing Jobs

In addition to installing new roofs, roofing experts also may engage in a number of other related jobs including:

  • Roof repair
  • Guttering installation
  • Roof and guttering removal and replacement
  • Minor repairs to the roof support system

Some jobs may require additional licences or endorsements (permissions) depending on your state or an area of your state or territory.

Roofing – NSW

Fair Trading is the statutory body charged with issuing trade licences in New South Wales. There is a variety of Fair Trading licences for roofers in NSW:

  • Roof plumbing includes fixing, installation, renovation, alteration, repair and maintenance of guttering, downpipes, roof flashing and roof coverings.
  • Roof tiling includes work with all types of roof tiling, including metal roof tiles, clay and concrete tiles. Roof tiling work includes includes the bedding and pointing of tiles; associated flashing and valley; anti-ponding board installation; sarking; and batten installation.
  • Roof slating includes the installation of all types of roof shingles and slates. Roof slating work includes all work associated with the installation of shingles and slates.

In addition, roofers in New South Wales are authorised to install skylights, ventilation units and similar products in roofs made from materials they are licensed to install.

Roofing – Victoria

In Victoria, building tradespersons must register with the Victorian Building Commission (VBA). According to VBA regulations, a Registered Building Practitioner (RBP) must carry out building work and renovations valued at over $5,000 (materials and labour). The VBA recognises three classes of builder:

  1. Domestic Builder – Unlimited (DB-U)
  2. Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L)
  3. Domestic Builder – Manager (DB-M)

If the builder holds a Domestic Builder – Limited (DB-L) registration card, the card should clearly state the job categories they are authorised to carry out. Your roofing practitioner’s registration card will have the added code letter “K” added. This signifies that they are registered to carry out “Improvements to roof” work that includes all types of roof and roof repair work.

If the job costs less than $5,000, the VBA considers it a “home improvement project” and recommends:

  • Using only established roofing professionals who offer written quotes
  • Asking for the contact details of previous customers
  • Signing a contract only after you are satisfied that everything is included in the contract

Hiring only a registered roofing specialist regardless of the cost is your best assurance the tradie you hire is qualified for the job.

Roofing – Queensland

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) issues trade licences in your state. Two general classes of licence are issued by the QBCC:

  • Trade Contractor
  • Nominee Supervisor

The Nominee Supervisor is typically an employee working for a contractor, while a contractor’s licence is a full licence and includes supervision of workers.

A licensed tradesperson must be carry out any building or home improvement project that costs over $3,300 in Queensland. For roofing, the person or company you hire must hold one or both of two contractor’s licences:

  1. Roof and Wall Cladding and/or
  2. Roof Tiling

These licences entitle the holder to supervise or carry out all types of roofing jobs associated with the type of roofing work they are licensed to perform. A Roof and Wall Cladding licence does not include clay or concrete roof tiling and a Roof Tiling licence does not include metal roofing materials such as Colorbond.

Roofing – SA

Consumer and Business Services (CBS) governs all building trades in South Australia. Building contractors in SA must have contractor’s licences and building practitioners who work for contractors and supervise the work of others must hold supervisor’s licences.

Both contractor’s and supervisor’s licences are subject to “Standard Registration Conditions” that include “scope of work” limitations. Roofing specialists can have one or more of several “scope of work” specifications:

  1. Roof Plumbing
  2. Roof Restoration
  3. Roof Restoration limited to tiled roofs
  4. Roof Tiling

As in other states, “roof plumbing” includes metal roofing materials such as Colorbond, but does not include roof tiling materials such as clay or concrete tiles or slate.

Roofing – WA

The Building Commission of the Department of Commerce governs building-related trades in Western Australian. State-wide, one of two types of building licence is required for any work that costs $20,000:

  • A Practitioner’s Licence authorises the holder to carry out or supervise building work.
  • A Contractor’s Licence authorises the holder to enter into contracts and appoint subcontractors.

Most reputable roofing companies in WA are registered building contractors and belong to an associated trade organisation such as the Master Builders Association (MBA) and/or the Housing Industry Association (HIA).

Roofing – Tasmania

The Department of Justice governs building trades in Tasmania. “Accreditation” by the Department of Justice is the equivalent to a trade licence in other states. Although there is no specific accreditation category for roofing, roofing is included in the definition of building work, which includes “construction, demolition, alteration, addition, relocation or repair” of buildings.

A building practitioner in Tasmania can be accredited for one of three types of building work:

  1. Builder – Open (for all types of building work)
  2. Builder – Medium Rise (for buildings over 2 storeys high)
  3. Builder – Low Rise (for buildings 2 storeys or less)

For most domestic roofing jobs, “Builder – Low Rise” accreditation is sufficient.

Roofing – ACT

In the ACT, a “Construction Practitioner’s Licence” is required for all types of building work, including roofing. There are four classes of licence. Class A and B licences are for working on buildings three storeys or higher. For most domestic work, a Class C or D licence is required:

  1. A Class C Builder (low rise) can perform building work on structures two storeys or lower and limited to building work on residential buildings and non-habitable structures such as garages, carports and sheds.
  2. Class D Builders are authorised to do non-structural building work only.

Your roofing professional’s licence should clearly state the type of work they are endorsed (authorised) to carry out and any job restrictions will also be stated on their card.

Supervised workers do not require a licence, but they must hold a “Construction Induction Card” (sometimes called a “white card”). This card is evidence they have taken relevant training and safety courses for working in the construction industry.

Roofing - Northern Territory

In the Northern Territory, the Building Practitioners Board is responsible for registering builders and building related trades. A builder’s licence is not required for:

  • Renovations to an existing building if the renovations to not increase interior floor space
  • Building free-standing sheds or fences
  • Installing verandas or carports added to existing homes or units

Although roofing does not require a builder’s licence in the Northern Territory, many roofing professionals are licensed and all building practitioners in the NT are expected to comply with Building Code Australia (BCA) standards and the Australian Government Building Code of Practice.

In some parts of the NT, a Home Improvement Licence is required for all home improvement projects that cost over $3,000. Check with your local council to find out if this is the case in your area.

To ensure you get professional service:

  • Get written quotes from several roofing specialists
  • Ask for the contact details of previous customers
  • Make sure you understand all the details on your contract
I can help!

Get Quotes From Licensed Roofers

  1. Tell us what you need from the Licensed Roofers
  2. Licensed Roofers contact you
  3. Compare multiple quotes fast to save time and money

Get Quotes Now »

Find Local Roofers Where You Live

Find Licensed Roofers in WA

Find Licensed Roofers in SA

Find Licensed Roofers in ACT

Find Licensed Roofers in NT